I came upon this recipe thanks to a dear sister-friend of mine who made it for me.
Once in a while, if we are lucky, we meet someone who changes our lives for the better; Amy is one of those people.
High school was a miserable period in my life for many reasons. Just as we were about to graduate, Amy ran into me in the washroom; I remember it as if it were yesterday. She spoke a few words to me that I have cherished and lived by ever since; it literally changed the way I saw the world.
We lost touch after high school but were fortunate enough to reconnect years later as we were embarking on a new adventure; motherhood. She invited me over for a wonderful home cooked meal of curried butternut squash soup; it was divine and has been my go to “feel good’’ soup ever since.
The soup always varies slightly according to my mood and the ingredients in my pantry but it goes something like this.
- In a large pot, sautée 1 diced onion and 1minced clove of garlic in 1 tbsp. of butter.
- Add 1 tbsp. of curry powder & stir for a few minutes until incorporated.
- Add 1 medium sized diced butternut squash.
- Cover with chicken broth (I use Bovril).
- Cook covered until squash is soft and then blend with an immersion blender.
- You can add a cup of cooking cream at this point or not (I don’t).
- However, I usually add a drop or two of cooking cream for decoration.
Amy added a dollop of sour cream which was really nice but sour cream is not something I usually have on hand.