For many years I have had a healthy disdain for quinoa; even more so with all the rage over it. I despise fads; all this gluten free, vegan, quinoa this, chia that, just drives me insane!
I admit to trying it many years ago before it was even on anyone’s radar. After all, it’s Peruvian…it’s my duty! It was so God awful, I vowed never to eat it again. Fast forward half a lifetime and my wonderful daughter is standing in front of the salad counter at IGA and eyeballing a bowl of quinoa salad…I cringe. I am the Queen of saying NO to my children EXCEPT when it comes to food. Mama! Can we try that?! I blink and yup, she is pointing at the quinoa…yeeesh. So I buy it and because I am a mom, I try it. Uh…what just happened? This stuff is actually good! Either my taste buds have matured considerably or I TOTALLY MASSACRED the prep all those years ago.
Now it’s Spring and Summer is around the corner so I am looking for FRESH. Nothing like a bowl of salad with a vibrant lime dressing. As much as I hated quinoa, I love this salad.
- A box of quinoa (200grams) prepared as indicated on the box **preferably with chicken stock to give it more flavour.
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ English cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
LIME SALAD DRESSING
- The juice of one lime (approximately 3 tbsps)
- 3 tbsps of canola oil
- 2 tbsps of sugar
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
Combine all the veggies with the cooled quinoa and dress with the lime dressing.
Refrigerate for an hour and serve.