I don't know why I thought these would be hard to make. I've always been mesmerized by these little treats. I love their name, I love their shape and now I love how easy they are to make. I picked up this gorgeous mould at Winners a couple of weeks ago. It was like I'd won a prize...I've been giddy with anticipation ever since. I was planning on making them midweek but things don't always go as we plan.
The mould came with a recipe, orange madeleines, but I did my online research anyway. I found Ricardo's recipe for lemon madeleines the one most to my liking. My mould makes 12 beautiful ''regular'' sized madeleines. Start to finish it took me 50 minutes to make, which included 30 minutes of ''fridge'' time for the dough. Nearly every recipe I read said that they were best eaten the same day but I had some left over the following day, that I had covered with cling wrap, they were just as good as the first bite out of the oven. You can dust the madeleines with some icing sugar once cooled but I prefered to eat mine without. I will definitely try the orange version of these beauties and will post the recipe to my food diary.
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup of butter (I always use semi-salted), melted and cooled to room temparature
- Start by melting the butter in the microwave and setting aside.
- Using an eletric mixer whisk the eggs, sugar and lemon for approximately 5 minutes until it forms a ribbon when you lift the whisk.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt through a sieve; mix in gently until uniform.
- Add the cooled butter a bit at a time, mixing well each time.
- Cover the batter and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Celcius.
- Prepare the mould by buttering and flouring it, making sure to discard excess flour.
- Fill each indentation with a tablespoon of the mix. TIP: Wet your finger with some water to gently push the dough into each indentation.
- Cook for 8 to 12 minutes. My oven took 9 minutes to cook the madeleines. They are ready once the edges have browned.
Enjoy and please leave a cmment...would love to hear from you!