I LOVE SUMMER! Summer strawberries are something I look forward to all year long. The second they are in season, I'm at my local farmer's market picking them up by the crateful. Last week I posted on FB a gorgeous crateful of strawberries I picked up at the farmer's market in St-Jerome (the Laurentians). I was so excited! I had plans for these strawberries; scones and jam. Well I never got around to making the scones nor the jam; we ate them all! We had them on cereal, in smoothies and my favorite... with heavy cream and a bit of sugar....oh my God!
Needless to say, I had to pick up another crate. This time I was determined to cook my beautiful strawberries. First up a gorgeous, easy strawberry cake. EASY!!! Tomorrow I plan to make scones ...but we shall see...only 4 little chopines left!
EASY PEASY STRAWBERRY SUMMER CAKE
- Approximately 2 cups of fresh strawberries with their tails removed
- 1 & 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 tsps. of baking powder
- 1/2 a tsp. of salt
- 1/3 of a cup of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp.of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees & butter a 9in. oven-ready pie plate.
- Beat the softened butter and the sugar until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and the egg and beat again until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt & milk and mix until it's all uniform ** I did NOT whisk the dry ingredients separately and it turn out just fine.
- Scoop the thick batter into the prepared dish and smooth it out with the back of a spoon to cover the entire bottom evenly.
- Decorate the top with as many strawberries as you can fit and push them into the mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with a tablespoon or two of sugar and pop into the preheated oven for approximately one hour or until nice and brown.
Prep took all of 15 minutes. Set the timer for 55 minutes and relax as you inhale the heavenly aroma.
Serve with some vanilla ice cream...oh mon Dieu!
INSPIRATION: Simple summer strawberry cake