Yesterday, all I could think of was making some heavenly vanilla cupcakes for the kids' lunch boxes. As I readied myself to make the cupcakes, I made the ''mistake'' of asking Olivia if she wanted a cupcake for lunch. The answer: ''YES! Chocolate please!'' In my head I was screaming NO... I want to make vanilla! Meanwhile, in the background, you could hear my son screaming for vanilla...GREAT! No problem...I can figure this out.
So I pulled up my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe, made it, filled 6 cupcake moulds, then added 1/8 cup of cocoa to the remaining batter plus a handful of chocolate chips. I tasted the chocolate half of the mix...perfect! Somehow the addition of cocoa and chocolate chips made for 2 extra cupcakes; call it a bonus.
Sooo...my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe is now tweaked and has become my new favorite chocolate chocolate chip cupcake recipe. They were moist and chocolaty heaven!
INGREDIENTS **makes 14 cupcakes
- 1/2 a cup of butter ** melted & cooled
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 1 & 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 2/3 of a cup of sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of cocoa
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, blend the butter and the sugar
- Add the vanilla and the eggs and blend until uniform
- Add the salt, baking soda, sour cream and cocoa and continue blending
- Add the flour half a cup at a time blending well in between each scoop
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Scoop into a paper lined cupcake (14) tray and cook in a 350° F oven for 18 - 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean