I've mentioned my friend Sophie before (see my post on healthy granola). She is an AMAZING woman! She is amazing not only because she ROCKS as a teacher, mom and friend but because she is STRONG and BEAUTIFUL and she makes me happy!
A couple of weeks ago, Sophie gave me a wonderful gift; a very precious bottle of vanilla. It meant a lot to her which meant the world to me. To show how much I appreciate her gift, I will be posting a series of recipes which highlight vanilla.
The first in the series of Sophie's vanilla recipes is a throwback to my childhood; arroz con leche (Peruvian-style rice pudding). This recipe brought back some very good memories...not specific ones but more like a wave of warm and fuzzy feelings as the aroma of the cinnamon and vanilla perfumed the air.
The rice pudding is absolutely delicious and I can't wait for Sophie to try it.
- Boil 3 cups of water with 1 stick of cinnamon and 2 cloves (I think I put 3 or 4 which was a bit much for some) and the zest of 3 lemons
- Add 1 cup of Arborio rice (the kind you make risotto with) and cook uncovered until all the water has evaporated
- Add 1 can of evaporated milk stirring constantly until the milk has been absorbed (approximately 15 minutes) ** it will burn if you stop stirring
- Add 1 can of condensed milk and stir for another 15 minutes
- Add a tsp. of vanilla and continue stirring for 5 minutes
- Pour into small bowls and decorate with powdered cinnamon
- Some people add soaked raisins (soaked in porto overnight) but my kids don't like raisins ...so
NB: Sophie's mom used to make rice pudding for her dad...I cried when I found out ..I didn't know