Lately I have been craving the simplicity and elegance of a vanilla cupcake...no chocolate chips added...no frosting...just a perfect bite of a moist, dense, flavorful vanilla cupcake. It had to be perfect. Perfect, because I was going to use some of Sophie's special vanilla extract to make them.
I have mentioned Sophie before and the bottle of vanilla extract that she gave me. Aside from the personal very touching story behind the gift, I haven't described to you how mesmerizingly aromatic this vanilla extract actually is....it's insane! Sophie's dad, an absolutely sweet 84 year old man whom I had the pleasure of dancing with last month, brought this bottle back from his recent trip to Haiti. The vanilla extract is infused with cinnamon...my all-time favorite spice. I can practically guarantee you that heaven smells like this little bottle of vanilla. So ....suffice it to say, the vanilla extract is extra special and I have to use it judiciously.
I have made hundreds and hundreds of cupcakes; the dozen I made this weekend are hands down the best I have ever made. They are dense and moist and rich and just heavenly...a definite must try.
Here it goes...
- 1/2 a cup of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 1 & 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 2/3 of a cup of sour cream
- 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
- Mix the butter and the sugar until well blended.
- Add the vanilla and the eggs and blend until uniform.
- Add the salt, baking soda and sour cream and continue blending.
- Add the flour half a cup at a time blending well in between each scoop.
- The batter won't be thick but it won't be runny either. It'll be just right.
- Scoop into a paper lined cupcake (12) tray and cook in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.** I always set my timer for 2 to 3 minutes before the time is done to make sure they don't overcook and to gauge how much more time they need.